San Gervasio history began in the Early Classic time period (300-400 A.C.), with the construction of El Ramonal acropolis. From here all the settlements of the island were controlled. During the Late Classic time period (600-1000 A.C.),
The Murcielago and El Cedral ruins were constructed and became the administrative center of their own communities. During the Final Classic time period (1000-1200 A.C.) The "itzaes", indians from the chontalpa region, dominated Cozumel, and from here they controlled the trade between the Yucatan and the Ulua region. There is archeological evidence that show that the blueprint of San Gervasio, where it's plazas are connected by scabé, follows that of the capital city of Itza and of Chichen Itza. Also ceramic has been found to had a strong influence of that culture.
During the Post Classic time period (1200-1650 A.C.) San Gervasio become one of the main pilgrimage centers of Mesoamerica. San Gervasio was also a place of intense trade. It became the religious and administrative center for all of the island. There is evidence that people continued to live here after the Spanish conquest.